World Space Forum 2022 - Sustainability in Space for Sustainability on Earth
Building on the success of the fora held from 2019 - 2021, UNOOSA, in cooperation with the Federal Ministry for Climate Action, Environment, Energy, Mobility, Innovation and Technology (BMK) and the Federal Ministry for Europe, Integration and Foreign Affairs (BMEIA) announces the fully virtual World Space Forum 2022 to take place 13 - 15 December 2022.
The World Space Forum series has become one of the global platforms for facilitating exchanges on best practices and inter-agency collaboration in support of the internationally agreed global frameworks.
The second “SDG Summit”, the High-level Political Forum on Sustainable Development under the auspices of the General Assembly, will be convened in September 2023 during the General Assembly high-level week in New York. The Summit will mark the mid-point in the implementation of the 2030 Agenda and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
At the Summit, the Heads of State and Government will comprehensively review progress in the implementation of the 2030 Agenda and the SDGs and provide political guidance for the way forward. This will also include examination of new science-based solutions, including advanced tools with transformative power and innovative solutions for accelerating the full implementation of the SDGs in the remaining years towards 2030. As Space technology can directly and indirectly accompany the common efforts in virtually every sector and every area of the current processes, UNOOSA together with its stakeholders will continue to raise awareness on the benefits of space applications for everyone, everywhere.
Building on the landmark “Space2030” Agenda: space as a driver of sustainable development and its implementation plan, which is a comprehensive and strategic document charting the way to enhance the contribution of Space and its applications to sustainable development and the realization of other global agendas, namely climate change and disaster risk reduction, UNOOSA will continue to promote the usage and application of space technology in all fora.
The World Space Forum 2022 aims to:
- Put “Space2030” agenda in the centre as a guiding document to enhance space-derived economic benefits and strengthen the role of the space sector as a major driver for sustainable development.
- Connect “Space2030” Agenda and its implementation plan with the results, recommendations and discussions of the World Space Fora 2019, 2020 and 2021.
- Raise awareness on the “Space2030” Agenda in conjunction with the planned Sustainable Development Goals Summit in 2023.
- Highlight how Space technology can facilitate the implementation of the SDGs
- Present new space technologies that enable progress and drive cooperation and partnership in space
- Bring space actors together to exchange best practices and explore ways to jointly address challenges to humanity and sustainable development issues